FACIAL RE-CONTOURING SURGERY: Techniques and Benefits Explained
At Shaping Faces we offer our clients facial bone contouring. Facial re-contouring allows us to offer patients the opportunity to achieve a more proportionate face and jawline. Many clients complain that their face is not symmetrical and that they would like to realign their jaw to reach the symmetrical look they are after. Symmetric faces have for a long time been considered an innate sign of beauty and we can now offer it to our patients.
There are several permanent surgical procedures used to reach the finished look and it can be a little confusing for patients. Fundamentally, Facial Re-contouring Surgery is managed by orthognathic Surgery, facial contouring surgery, genioplasties and facial implants or a combination of all the above to give people’s faces a more symmetrical appearance.
What is Facial Bone Re-contouring
Although ideas about beauty have changed dramatically throughout time, the constant of symmetry has always been associated with beauty. Facial re-contouring can help achieve improved symmetry, but it can also go further.
For example, Asian women perceive beauty as having a delicate and feminine facial shape, which is oval rather than square. This however does not work well with Asian genetics which dictate a square jawline and slight protruding cheeks and mouth.
Facial Re-contouring can help address this and achieve a look which is more in line aesthetic aspirations.
Facial Re-contouring can help with the following:
- Square Jaw through Orthognathic Surgery or recontouring of the mandible
- Weak Chin with chin implants or genioplasty
- Asymmetrical Mouth
- Protruding mouth
- Protruding chin/ jaw through genioplasty or Orthognathic Surgery
Benefits of Facial Re-contouring
There are many benefits of Facial Re-contouring for both men and women:
Reduced jaw protrusion
Narrowing of the face
A more balanced face
Procedures and Surgical Techniques
V- Line surgery
Combine jaw reduction surgery, orthognathic Surgery and genioplasty
Reduced protrusion or angle of jaw
Reduced size of mandible bone
Re-contouring the chin
Genioplasty or Chin implant
Alters the profile of the chin through augmentation or reduction
Camouflage of a deficient mandible
The surgeon can access the chin through the mouth with a genioplasty or use a chin implant with face and neck lifts
Jaw Surgery/ Orthognathic Surgery
Takes 1.5- 3.0 hours depending on single or double jaw surgery
Alters facial proportions
Changes and augments profiles
Lengthens or reduces facial heights
Narrows or broadens the face by changing proportions
In snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea can improve or cure this
Can address a malocclussion
Can slim down and feminises the face for facial feminisation
Malarplasty/Cheek bone /Zygoma augmentation & enhancement
Can be done with facial implants, fillers or fat as an independent procedure or as part of a face lift
Takes 1.5-2 hours
Surgeon will access the area through the mouth or eyelid if placing implants
If using fillers this can be done in outpatients
GENIOPLASTY SURGERY: Techniques and Benefits Explained
A genioplasty is a surgical procedure where a cut is made into the chin bone. The chin is then moved forward or backward (sliding genioplasty). Genioplasty is commonly known as Chin Surgery and helps to correct the profile of the chin. It is used to address:
- A deficient or prominent chin
- To increase or decrease chin or lower facial height
- To increase by camouflage, the size of a deficient lower jaw
- To camouflage facial asymmetries seen from the front
- To narrow or widen the front lower part of the face
- To feminise or make a chin/jaw more masculine
- To enhance a sagging neck as a solo procedure or with liposuction
What does the operation involve?
Genioplasty is carried out from the inside of the mouth. This means that there will be no visible scar tissue on the skin of the patients face.
An incision is made through the gum on the inside of the lower lip so that the surgeon can gain access to the lower jaw bone and chin.
A small saw is used to cut the chin.
The chin is gently move to the correct position and helping place with metal plates and screws.
The gum inside the mouth is stitched back into place using dissolvable sutures that can take around two weeks to disolve.
The treatment leaves no skin scarsAdvantages of Genioplasty
- Simulation of the facial changes can be done preoperatively using prediction drawings, thus helping the patient visualise their new look.
- The bone heals very quickly and there are usually very few visible signs of surgery.
- The shape of the chin can be changed in all directions. The chin can be reduced vertically and enlarged horizontally. The chin’s width can also reduce, and a v-shape can be enhanced all using genioplasty.